[governance] Caucus Statement: another proposal

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 25 05:23:23 EDT 2006

I will try some reconciliation between Vittorio's and Bill's drafts

I think there is a good degree of congruence expect for the first
(substantial) para in Vittorio's draft.

To quote

>>> First of all, the first instance of the IGF has apparently been
conceived on the model of an international >conference, with pre-arranged
panelists instructing the audience on pre-defined themes, and limited
opportunities for >participants to express their views, or to raise other
issues. While we appreciate the effort, we would like to ensure >that any
stakeholder has sufficient opportunities to express views, raise issues of
concern, gather interest in them, >and get them addressed at the IGF or
forwarded to the appropriate venue. In other words, we would like to stress
the >importance of replacing top-down organizational models with bottom-up
procedures, where a sufficient number of >participants can put issues on the
agenda and start working on them.

I understand the motivation behind it - but we are back to - shd it be a
more (and more) open conference kind of a thing, or should be more focused,
purposeful body which is able to carry out the tasks we list for it (in
subsequent paras). I think though both aspects are important, there is some
'structural' trade-off here. If we make this (as above) our first point, it
takes the edge off our effort to speak about IGF's capacity to do many of
things we want it to do. In any case, our working group/ dynamic coalitions
point makes for processes of inclusion. I don't think just being able to get
up in a big noisy room and speaking out to one's heart's content adds much.
Structuring participation and inclusiveness is a better approach - which we
are doing by asking for more openness in MAG etc processes, and putting up
WG like structures.

If we leave this para out - rest of the Vittorio's draft and Bill's are not
too different.

Para beginning 'Ultimately, we see the IGF." corresponds to Bill's point 1.
para beginning 'We suggest the IGF to develop." corresponds to Bill's point
3, and paras beginning 'we see.' and 'we strive..' can be pulled together
with Bill's point 2.

So if Vittorio and Bill can do a quick round, privately, on putting out an
agreed draft covering these 3 points, we may be close to agreement. The
prefaces etc can also be agreed to.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore