[governance] Program for IGC at IGF

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Sat Oct 21 15:11:29 EDT 2006

Parminder,

You are absolutely right that there are
significant and major issues that are
international in scope and require international
leadership to address.  To name just two that
will be discussed at the IGF, I note cybercrime
and spam, and there are clearly others.

What I am reacting to is what I observe is the
conventional wisdom that I find faulty: that
Internet governance and related Internet issues
are essentially international in character, and
that national issues are secondary.  In almost
all developing countries that I have worked in
(and I've worked in over 50, although many before
the Internet), national government policies have
been the determining factor regarding the health
of the ICT industry, the ability of people to
gain access to computers and, of importance to us
here, the ability of the Internet to spread in an
accessible and affordable manner.

So my post is essentially a reaction against the
idea that the IGF, and the UN, and the ITU, and
... (choose your favorite cast of international
characters) will be able to solve the issue of
Internet governance and associated Internet
issues.  And if we go back to WSIS-2, I challenge
you to make a list of the countries that wanted
to emasculate ICANN that, in their own country,
actively limit access to the Internet through
monopoly control and/or high prices, disregard
and violate confidentiality of communication,
censor information, and punish people severely
for attempting to create a free flow of
information.  I think the list would be long.
Yet all of those countries implicitly or
explicitly agreed with both the vision statement
and the plan of action, both international
documents created during WSIS-1.  Talk is cheap;
action is definitive.

Now, if you wonder why the world has been
spending so much time holding global conferences
over such issues, I'm inclined to share that
concern with you.  The global arena is an
important policy arena, but for those issues that
can be influenced by global action.  We may
differ on exactly what issues are contained
within that set.

I do differ with your conclusion.  Such views do
not have anti-public policy biases.  Rather, they
reflect the desirability of taking action with
respect to issues in appropriate venues.  We
probably generally share working toward the goals
of making this world "a better place," but we may
not share the same concept of the means to get
there.

I hope that these remarks have been helpful.

George