[governance] Program for IGC at IGF

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sat Oct 21 18:04:22 EDT 2006

Hi,

On 21 okt 2006, at 21.11, George Sadowsky wrote:

> What I am reacting to is what I observe is the conventional wisdom
> that I find faulty: that Internet governance and related Internet
> issues are essentially international in character,

I disagree. I think it is only on the international stage that
governance and other Internet issues can be dealt.  I don't believe
that it is up to governments to do it though i do see them having
some role.  i don't believe there is is any right of nations to make
policy vis a vis the Internet.  They may do so, and they even get
away with it at the moment, but i think we lose a major battle the
second we start to believe that they have some _right_ to do so.  I
tend to view the IGF and other international, but not
intergovernemental, organizations as a bulwark against the continuing
nationalization of the Internet.

> that wanted to emasculate ICANN

interesting image, but i do not see what being masculine, or having
masculine external attributes, has to do with being an effective
international organization.  not that i am prepared to argue that the
current ICANN incarnation is particularly effective, though i think
that has more to do with its form of governance and its lack of
freedom from national and other government pressure.

a.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org