[governance] Re:ICANN DOC: The EU commission's perspective

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Tue Oct 3 05:38:27 EDT 2006

I echo with most of what Adam wrote below. And, I think anyone
is biased by their own opinions, thus that should not be used as
the basis to deny their credibility. I have mine, and I think Veni, you also
have one, right?

I am puzzled by reading the EU statement. Where exactly is
the so-called "enhanced cooperation" exit? Is it purely governmental?
By reading the Tunis below, it says "involving all stakeholders", but
where is it now?

I also notice that EU statement does not touch the "IANA contract"
where US government still has strong role to approve any change of
the root zone file. This is the heart of the matter, right?

As far as the "day-to-day operation" is concerned, it is not so important
anyway, and USG has not exercised much at all until now. So EU's
welcoming statement is just sort of endorsing something already there,
yet it gives a wrong impression that there is big progress made, as well
as expectation to see "privatization by 2009" - a similar expectation
given by Clinton administration/Magaziner, but not quite by the current
Bush administration.

Still the new Join Program looks somewhat better than the old MoU.
Not that all negative, perhaps, the truth is somewhere in between,
or somewhere not in the document, but in the real politics behind
the scenes.

izumi

Tunis Agenda:

71. The process towards enhanced cooperation, to be started by the UN
Secretary-General, involving all relevant organisations by the end of
the first quarter of 2006, will involve all stakeholders in their
respective roles, will proceed as quickly as possible consistent with
legal process, and will be responsive to innovation. Relevant
organisations should commence a process towards enhanced cooperation
involving all stakeholders, proceeding as quickly as possible and
responsive to innovation. The same relevant organisations shall be
requested to provide annual performance reports.

2006/10/3, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>:

> [...]
> to look carefully at all sides. For sure you
> should be very concerned about the Whois issue
> IGP raises (issues your colleague Susan Crawford
> also mentions).
>
> I hope you would also be concerned about senior
> management and leadership discussions with NTIA
> and want to ensure there's transparency and
> community input to these discussions.  At the
> risk of sounding like a bit of a conspiracy
> theorist ... in an email to the GNSO chair, Paul
> Twomey wrote "There is no requirement to report
> regularly to the DOC. The DOC will simply meet
> with senior ICANN staff from time to time."
> <http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/council/msg02874.html >.
> The "leadership" part (that's you by the way)
> overlooked already, or just Paul's email short
> hand.  Hope you will make sure it's the latter.
>
> You should be careful not to dismiss what IGPs
> saying just because it's negative (perhaps overly
> negative). There's a lot of sense in there and if
> you aren't at least considering all aspects of
> the agreement then you're screwing up.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam
>

> >Milton,
> >why do you have to be so unhappy when people are
> >saying that the end of the MoU is good for the
> >Internet?
> >What if the IGP analysis you quote might have
> >misinterpreted the wording of the JPA? I guess
> >there's a problem here because you already have
> >an opinion, and you consider it the only right
> >opinion. If you have had questions, then we
> >could have a discussion. But when people enter a
> >discussion with formed opinions, the discussion
> >can't happen.
> >
> >best,
> >veni
> >

> >At 05:32 PM 02.10.2006 '?.'öÑ¶Ü  -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
> >>It is an interesting statement. I think they
> >>are either misinformed, or wish to encourage
> >>the US to move into the right direction by
> >>praising them, even though there is no evidence
> >>or guarantee that the current agreement does
> >>move in that direction.
> >>
> >>In particular, the Commission's response
> >>completely overlooks the highly prescriptive
> >>approach to Whois policy that was put into the
> >>new agreement (see IGP analysis
> >>http://www.internetgovernance.org/news.html#ICANNoldwine_093006)
> >>However, by taking this approach the Commission
> >>is able to claim that the US is moving in the
> >>direction that the Tunis Agenda and its calls
> >>for "enhanced cooperation" said it would move.
> >>That makes it appear as if its call for
> >>"enhanced cooperation" in WSIS was not a
> >>complete failure.  In my opinion, it will be a
> >>complete failure unless the EC strongly
> >>confronts the US on Whois.
> >>
> >>Another point, which is not ambiguous or
> >>debatable: the current JPA does _not_ introduce
> >>any guarantee that the relationship will end in
> >>2009. I don't know why the EU asserts that it
> >>does, unless they are trying to create a

            Institute for HyperNetwork Society
            Kumon Center, University of Tama
                            * * * * *
             << Writing the Future of the History >>