[governance] Re: ITU IG Resolution

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 24 07:58:37 EST 2006

Forwarded on behalf of Monika Ermert.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Fw: Re: [governance] ITU IG Resolution
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:53:48 +0100
From: Monika Ermert <m.ermert at gmx.de>

>> as one could have anticipated there is very little
>> space envisaged for Civil Society input despite the cosmetics,

> I thought they are working on it?
> Can anyone tell us more about the debate on CS inclusion beyond what is in
> the declaration?

There is a special resolution on the question of a multistakeholder
particiation in the ITU, based on a proposal by Argentina and Switzerland
who also chaired the ad-hoc working group on that issue.
Debates about the question to open up according to the
multistakeholder-model were quite intense even if the proposal is careful
in first asking for a study.

Result in short: "to conduct a study of the participation of all relevant
stakeholders in the activities of the Union related to WSIS;" and "that
all measures regarding the participation of relevant stakeholders in ITU’s
activities related to WSIS shall respect the agreed strong development
orientation of the UN system-wide follow-up of WSIS"

According to my understanding there is a clear focus on WSIS issues - not
on ITU in general, on the contrary the intergovernmental nature of ITU is
underscored in the resolution.

Other relevant resultions (one on IDN, that even talks about regional root
servers in one sentence, on on WSIS follow-up, one on security); there
might be others.

Best,

Monika

     governance at lists.cpsr.org