[governance] Update on upcoming IGF consultations

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Nov 23 19:25:46 EST 2006

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> Bret Fausett wrote:
>> You can set up on Ninca Island on Second Life.

> I can predict what others will say to that, but I actually  don't think
> it's such a bad idea

I still say it:

Standard argument: Don't believe the hype. SL is still smaller than my
little city.

Economic argument: As long as we don't have a reliable chat server and
less than ten people in the forums or using the online participation
functions, setting up shop in SL would be a huge waste of time and energy.

Political Argument I: SL is excluding more than including. Even I can't
run it on my laptop's graphics chip. (less than 3 years old)

Political Argument II: If we move too far into cyberland, the governments
won't follow us. To a lot of them, the whole IGF process was already way
too fast and too CS-driven.

My 5 cents.

Ralf
     governance at lists.cpsr.org