[governance] Advisory Group appointment

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Thu Nov 2 08:48:40 EST 2006

Jeremy Malcolm ha scritto:
> Adam, would it be possible for you to raise on the Advisory Group
> mailing list (which I can't post to, because it's closed) the proposal
> that from now on it be appointed by an open and multi-stakeholder
> nominations committee (as delegates of the Secretary-General)?

I think that then you have a problem: who is going to select the members
of the nominating committee that is going to select the Advisory Group?
If it's the SG and you trust the SG to pick a balanced Nomcom, then why
don't you trust him to pick a balanced AG?

If the point is that constituencies should self-select representatives,
then we'd rather ask the SG to tell us how many he wants, and we'll
provide the names. This might however shift the heat on ourselves, as I
don't think that we ever agreed, for example, that the IGC is entitled
to provide names on behalf of the entire civil society. I'd like this
scenario, but are we ready for it?

If the point is that renewed (better) criteria for selection should be
used, or that there were too many I*-societies people and too few civil
society (and, by the way, this point was spontaneously made to me by a
governmental person as well: it seems that we're not the only ones who
are disturbed by that), then we'd rather put out a "formal" CS statement
to say: we think that the next AG should have more civil society people
and be more geographically and gender balanced. Actually, that's what we
were trying to do just before the IGF - I think we now need to release a
civil society assessment of the IGF.

Finally:

> I think for this issue to be fed to the Advisory Group

How could the existing (imbalanced) AG conclude that itself was ill
selected and so it should be replaced by a different mix of people? I
don't see that happening, honestly.

To conclude frankly: I imagine that the Secretariat was forced to pick
all these Internet technical people as a precondition for some
stakeholders not to opt out of the process. I think that now, after a
first, successful meeting, strength ratios are different and the
Secretariat might be able to do a better job, as it did with the WGIG.
We should first of all lobby it to that extent.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org