[governance] Advisory Group appointment

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Thu Nov 2 09:12:31 EST 2006

Vittorio Bertola wrote:
> Jeremy Malcolm ha scritto:
>> Adam, would it be possible for you to raise on the Advisory Group
>> mailing list (which I can't post to, because it's closed) the proposal
>> that from now on it be appointed by an open and multi-stakeholder
>> nominations committee (as delegates of the Secretary-General)?
>
> I think that then you have a problem: who is going to select the members
> of the nominating committee that is going to select the Advisory Group?
> If it's the SG and you trust the SG to pick a balanced Nomcom, then why
> don't you trust him to pick a balanced AG?

By saying "open" I did not make clear my meaning that anyone who
volunteered to be on it could do so (which I've written about elsewhere
but didn't make explicit here).  So it would have to operate by
consensus rather than by voting.  You might say that that couldn't
possibly work, but it does work in many other contexts: Wikipedia,
IETF... if you need more examples I can direct you to the relevant part
of my thesis.

Self-selection, just FYI, is something that Kummer has flatly ruled out.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org