[governance] GPLv3 implementation of "user centric identity"?

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Mar 29 03:26:36 EST 2006

Hi,

  As we've been discussing our response to the "IGF topics"
question in SIUG (Swiss Internet User Group), it was suggested
that we might want to support the "user centric identity"
proposal
https://ssl.cpsr.org/pipermail/governance/2006-March/005819.html

However we do not want to support DRM systems.  Hence we'd
want to support "user centric identity" only if it's being
implemented in a way which ensures that it will not primarily
have the effect of providing a more solid foundation for
DRM systems.

We would support the "user centric identity" proposal if
someone is making a commitment to implement it under GPLv3
(see http://gplv3.fsf.org/draft ).  Do you know someone who
wants to do this?

I realise that my question comes on very short notice with
respect to the looming deadline of March 31 for submitting
the topic proposals for the IGF 2006 in Athens.  There may
no longer be sufficient time before this dealine for someone
to seriously consider the pros and cons of committing to
making a GPLv3 implementation of "user centric identity".
Maybe it would be more appropriate to give this question
some more time and then propose the topic for IGF 2007 in
Rio do Janeiro.  But if there is already someone who is
committed to this, please let me know.

Greetings,
Norbert.