[governance] GPLv3 implementation of "user centric identity"?

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 29 08:13:50 EST 2006

Norbert Bollow wrote:

>   As we've been discussing our response to the "IGF topics"
> question in SIUG (Swiss Internet User Group), it was suggested
> that we might want to support the "user centric identity"
> proposal
Good to hear!

> However we do not want to support DRM systems.  Hence we'd
> want to support "user centric identity" only if it's being
> implemented in a way which ensures that it will not primarily
> have the effect of providing a more solid foundation for
> DRM systems.
Maybe you are not exactly clear about the status of these proposals. This
is not the time nor place to decide things like concrete implementations
and their licenses. We are at the point of making suggestions on what
should be on the agenda of the IGF, meaning that there is a need to
discuss it and develop policy directions.

*If* and only if digital identity makes it on the agenda, we can certainly
use all arguments and lobbying facilities we have to make sure identity
systems are regulated and implemented without supporting DRM and in an
open way.

Hope that helps,

Ralf