[governance] A process suggestion for IGF nominations

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Tue Mar 21 14:50:25 EST 2006

Avri:
Thank you for a well thought-out proposal and for your willingness to volunteer to chair the committee.

Given the openness of the IGC list and the random selection procedure, I have some concerns, however. Will there be any qualification process for volunteers? e.g., do they have to be civil society, and how do we define that?  A lot of these concerns would go away if I/others knew that at least one and possibly two well-known, experienced people were voting members of the committee; e.g., you, and/or one of the two former co-chairs.

One minor procedural glitch: you ask for a minumum number of volunteers  (25) but also ask volunteers to send a private email to you. This means we won't know how close we are to the limit. I'd suggest that you retain the private nature of the volunteering but then release a list of who has volunteered, or at least the number of volunteers, every second day.

One could also raise issues about how the random selection is done, and who audits it (sigh), kinda b.s. I know, but may be a concern to some...