[governance] Going forward - Role of the governance caucus [3 options]

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Mon Mar 6 07:31:21 EST 2006

Hi all,

I see that Milton is bringing his contribution to the International
Women Day by nominating two women (through conscription: after Hegel
and Marx, let's talk about Uncle Sam:)). However, the only little
time I can dedicate to WSIS/post-WSIS activities would be rather used
for human rights (caucus) activities. Thanks anyway, I appreciate.

Also, I wouldn't appear as discouraging any vocation, but being on
this mailing almost since its creation, I know that it would need
unlimited patience to coordinate it, and this doesn't appear to be my
main quality, and BTW I commend Jeanette and Adam for all their work !

Finally, to comment on Bill's options, I think his 'status quo'
option, which seems to gain the larger - expressed - preference,
doesn't include the key role of nominating CS people to the IGF (I
mean further to people nominated on behalf of this specific caucus).
I think Bill is right on this.

I would also have expected some comments to my own proposal w.r.t. CS
as a whole organization, which is entirely compatible with Bill's
'status quo' option for the governance caucus. I'm restating below
this proposal in summary. Although it doesn't only concern the
governance caucus, I'd be interested in comments from its members:

- This caucus could remain a discussion place for (at large)
governance issues [addition, Re: 'statu quo option': developing its
own positions if possible]
- Any (already existing or to be recomposed/newly formed) caucus/
coalition could be formed to develop substantive opinions on various
governance issues (and other post-wsis issues as well)
- One (or more) CS coordination/liaison group should be formed to
deeal with organizational matters and, if desirable and possible,
facilitate global CS at post-wsis opinions/declarations developments.

Best,
Meryem