[governance] Going forward - Role of the governance caucus

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Mar 3 08:52:07 EST 2006

Hi Jeanette,

Le 2 mars 06 à 21:51, Jeanette Hofmann a écrit :

> Hi Meryem, if I understand correctly,
>
> you see two options for the caucus to move forward:
>
> 1. the caucus can stay as it is and try to give itself a structure
> 2. it could differentiate itself into smaller entities
>
> [...]There is certainly no danger that the caucus claims any
> authority beyond its members.

It's not about any "taking over" danger (which is unlikely). Just
that it seems difficult, given the diversity of this caucus, that it
comes up with any caucus substantive opinion, thus the need to form
more targetted coalitions/groups, and yes, MMWG is certainly one of
them.

It remains then, for the caucus as such, the two roles identified by
Milton: organizational and discussion space for (at large) governance
issues.

The second role is not problematic, not exclusive of other spaces (if
any), and thus most welcome.

The first one, I think, should be inclusive of all other CS groups,
already or not involved in WSIS, recomposed or not.
Since this caucus/mailing list is certainly still seen by many - if
not the majority - as a given CS group with its own history and
issues, like any other WSIS caucus, my opinion is that it would be
preferable and easier that at least the organizational role be played
by a (not necessarily the current one) plenary or, better, a CS
coordination/liaison group for governance (IGF) issues. Something
like a (CS bureau + CS 'content and themes') dedicated to deal with
CS relations to IGF, and coordinating all CS caucuses/coalitions that
want to have a say in this process. We can have a similar
coordination/liaison group to deal with other post-wsis issues
(follow-up, implementation, etc.). Alternatively, we can have just
one such CS coordination/liaison group, dealing with all post-wsis
issues. At this step of the discussion, frankly I have no idea of
which configuration would be preferable. What I know for sure is that
the current "structures", particularly the CSB, should not stay as
they are.

In summary, my opinion is:
- This caucus could remain a discussion place for (at large)
governance issues
- Any (already existing or to be recomposed/newly formed) caucus/
coalition could be formed to develop substantive opinions on various
governance issues (and other post-wsis issues as well)
- One (or more) CS coordination/liaison group should be formed to
deeal with organizational matters and, if desirable and possible,
facilitate global CS at post-wsis opinions/declarations developments.

Meryem