[governance] Going forward - Role of the governance caucus

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Mar 2 17:36:48 EST 2006

Good post, MyMz. Comments:

>>> Meryem Marzouki <marzouki at ras.eu.org> 3/2/2006 2:01 PM >>>
>we'll face
>the following alternative: either this caucus/mailing list
>becomes  the plenary or plenary-like space, or the whole
>CS @ WSIS should reconsider its structuring, starting from
>caucuses.

I think both are already happening. IGC list should continue to evolve into the CS plenary and new sub-groupings should form around it.

>May I remind here that HR also include economic, social
>and cultural rights, and the right to development, not only
>civil and political rights

I don't understand the relevance of this. You don't need to introduce ideological debates about what "rights" are in order to justify a role for HR - or any other caucus - in IGC. (I myself have no idea what a "right to development" is. I picture a group of people sitting on the ground and refusing to work, waiting for their economy to develop because they have a "right" to it.) Of course HR is a significant factor in global governance, and specifically Internet governance.

>should [IGC] stay more or less as it is and play the two roles that you
>see

If it plays the first role it cannot stay as it is. It will have to formalize some procedures and leadership. This will provide opportunities for new people to get involved, and should not lock out anyone.

>"official" nominator for the whole CS: I do understand what you mean,
>but this would certainly be opposed by many CS people outside of this
>caucus, I'm afraid)

Not for the whole of CS, but for the whole of CS in internet governance.
(cute distinction, eh?)

>it may be time to try restructuring in coalitions (or caucuses if
>we want to keep this terminology), either following different
>understandings of 'internet  governance', or by specific issues,
>or whatever criteria people and organizations usually follow to
>coalesce.
>
>This, I think, should be the most important discussion within CS,
>in  this caucus and elsewhere, and unfortunately I don't see it
>happening.

It is now!