[governance] Going forward - Role of the governance caucus

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Thu Mar 2 14:01:28 EST 2006

[Thought it's time to change the subject of this - promising... -
thread]

Le 2 mars 06 à 19:22, Milton Mueller a écrit :

> I see two roles for the Caucus going forward:
>
> 1. To serve as an "official" nominator of CS representatives to IGF
> structures
> 2. To serve as a space for discussion of how CS would intervene in
> IGF processes.

This doesn't take into account a major change in post-wsis situation:
governance was one among the many WSIS identified issues before
Tunis, and CS was dealing with this issue almost only in the
framework of this caucus, which was fine. Now IGF is all about
internet governance and almost the only body where 'things can be
done' for CS, starting with framing a - more or less agreed -
understanding of 'internet governance'. This means that we'll face
the following alternative: either this caucus/mailing list becomes
the plenary or plenary-like space, or the whole CS @ WSIS should
reconsider its structuring, starting from caucuses.

I would favor the latter solution and, although this has not started
yet, as the human rights caucus co-chairs, I think Rikke and I should
propose to the HR caucus to discuss this issue: whether we should
stay as a caucus and try to have a say in the IGF process, what
should be our understanding of internet governance and the role of
IGF, etc. In other words, should the HR caucus develop more detailed
inputs on internet governance that what it did till now, i.e. stating
in a very general way that Internet governance should respect HR
standards. May I remind here that HR also include economic, social
and cultural rights, and the right to development, not only civil and
political rights..., and this has a lot to do with governance, in
this context with internet governance.

Obviously, this process could be undertaken by all caucuses. However,
the governance caucus is naturally facing a particular situation:
should it stay more or less as it is and play the two roles that you
see and describe here (while there is no reason that it serves as an
"official" nominator for the whole CS: I do understand what you mean,
but this would certainly be opposed by many CS people outside of this
caucus, I'm afraid), or should it consider that it has attracted a
huge number of people on this mailing list, from different
backgrounds, with different understandings of 'internet governance',
pushing various agendas, etc., and that it may be time to try
restructuring in coalitions (or caucuses if we want to keep this
terminology), either following different understandings of 'internet
governance', or by specific issues, or whatever criteria people and
organizations usually follow to coalesce.

This, I think, should be the most important discussion within CS, in
this caucus and elsewhere, and unfortunately I don't see it happening.

What do you people think ?

Meryem