[governance] VS: [Fwd: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains]

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Thu Mar 2 13:54:29 EST 2006

On 2 mar 2006, at 19.22, Milton Mueller wrote:

>> The world may be too large an issue. Let's
>> start with this caucus: what does it want to do ? Or, should I rather
>> ask, does it want to move on and do anything ?
>
> Good question. I see two roles for the Caucus going forward:
>
> 1. To serve as an "official" nominator of CS representatives to IGF
> structures
> 2. To serve as a space for discussion of how CS would intervene in
> IGF processes.

does this mean you do not see it a space that could develop positions
that are put forward as caucus opinions?

this would arguably take some process formalization as well, but I am
curious whether you think this is a worthwhile goal.

> To fulfill the first purpose, it needs to formalize its processes
> somewhat more - e.g., to at least have a process to replace its
> retired coordinators and to give its coordinators some authority to
> act on its behalf.
>
> To fulfill the second purpose, it can keep doing what it is doing
> now without much change.

personally i would like to see the IGC capable of your 2 goals plus
the 3rd i added, but i am not sure i see a way forward and think that
perhaps, the discussion space is all that can be counted on in a
group this wide and diverse.

a.