[governance] [Fwd: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains]

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Wed Mar 1 18:46:30 EST 2006

Meryem Marzouki wrote:

>It seems to me that the really breaking news in this announcement is
>that it shows the general public - and any decision maker who seems
>afraid of the '(Internet) world chaos' alternate roots are supposed
>to cause  - that alternate roots do work when good coordination is in
>place and respected. And if this applies to multilingual roots, it
>also applies to any kind of alternate root  and DNS system.

Nonsense.  You are mixing apples and oranges to make chocolate milk.
Any root system simply shows by it's deployment that the process is not
rocket science.  Root which are exclusive suffer technical failure in
the long term.  The evidence of that problem already exists in the
USG/IANA root.

This is not about roots - this is about a trap due to the structure of
the internets protocols.  There is an underlying assumption that
co-ordination will exists for basic functions like names and numbers.
If you want to communicate with each other you must respect the basic
boundaries of each others networks.  At the root level TLDs are created
- those creators are the stakeholders.  Those who can win this war are
the people who co-ordinate the users and existing stakeholders together
to form a trully public root system.  But not this group.  Much of the
discussions here on DNS are populated with misinformation.  There is a
need for many to get an education.

>So, the remaining question is not: "is there a need to coordinate the
>different language based roots?", but rather: "there is a need to
>coordinate the different whatever- (certainly not only language-)
>based roots!", i.e., since I'm pleased to go on with Wolfgang's

Having a hard time understanding what you going on about.  Languages are
irrelevant as are the roots.  There is a need to operate root servers at
the ISP level for the simple means of ensuring security to ones users.
Countries may also wish to legislate security on their internets by
running official national root servers.  Like google the root servers
collect data - unlike google you can do something about root surveilance
- which see details:

http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/P-R/RSPC.pdf

However it is not the roots that are important.  Also languages are
irrelevant to roots or the internet.  It is labels which must be
co-ordinated (tlds).  Unless all these roots - including the public root
for which I am an advocate and supporter - get a clue and start
co-ordinating together soon - I predict massive technical headaches for
administrators and increased traffic congestion as more and more roots
get deployed with conflicting data.

regards
joe