[governance] [Fwd: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains]

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 1 07:26:22 EST 2006

At 10:37 AM +0100 3/1/06, Meryem Marzouki wrote:
>Le 28 févr. 06 à 17:39, David Allen a écrit :
>
>>  At 5:25 PM +0100 2/28/06, Wolfgang Kleinwächter wrote:
>>>  The remaining question is, is there a need to
>>>  coordinate the different language based roots?
>>
>>  That I think is what _we_ - WSIS, IGF et al. - are supposed to be
>>  all about ...
>
>This is also what I've thought since this caucus has been started...
>not _all_ about, though, but let's say _also mainly_ about.

Yes indeed.  You pull my rhetorical flourish back, to a little grounding.

>It seems to me that the really breaking news in this announcement is
>that it shows the general public - and any decision maker who seems
>afraid of the '(Internet) world chaos' alternate roots are supposed
>to cause  - that alternate roots do work when good coordination is in
>place and respected.

That it seems is a very essence of 'governance' -
a collective effort, agreed and evolving forward.
What the five years of struggle at WSIS did not
yet reach, what surely is our mission forward,
should we be wise enough to go there -
coordination and respect.

>And if this applies to multilingual roots, it
>also applies to any kind of alternate root  and DNS system.
>
>So, the remaining question is not: "is there a need to coordinate the
>different language based roots?", but rather: "there is a need to
>coordinate the different whatever- (certainly not only language-)
>based roots!",

Indeed.

>i.e., since I'm pleased to go on with Wolfgang's
>metaphor, to do what Mr Marx has done to Mr Hegel's dialectics:
>putting it back on its feet:)

Nor, it appears, are dialectics ever far from the
human endeavor - seems cognition uses opposed
extremes to build dimensions, by which we
perceive ... but that's another story.  Messrs
Hegel and Marx were onto something, huh.

>Best,
>Meryem
>PS. Milton: no 'infocommunism' in there:))
>
>--
>Meryem Marzouki - http://www.iris.sgdg.org
>IRIS - Imaginons un réseau Internet solidaire
>294 rue de Charenton - 75012 Paris
>Tel/Fax. +33(0)144749239

David