[governance] [Fwd: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains]

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Mar 1 04:37:10 EST 2006

Le 28 févr. 06 à 17:39, David Allen a écrit :

> At 5:25 PM +0100 2/28/06, Wolfgang Kleinwächter wrote:
>> The remaining question is, is there a need to
>> coordinate the different language based roots?
>
> That I think is what _we_ - WSIS, IGF et al. - are supposed to be
> all about ...

This is also what I've thought since this caucus has been started...
not _all_ about, though, but let's say _also mainly_ about.

It seems to me that the really breaking news in this announcement is
that it shows the general public - and any decision maker who seems
afraid of the '(Internet) world chaos' alternate roots are supposed
to cause  - that alternate roots do work when good coordination is in
place and respected. And if this applies to multilingual roots, it
also applies to any kind of alternate root  and DNS system.

So, the remaining question is not: "is there a need to coordinate the
different language based roots?", but rather: "there is a need to
coordinate the different whatever- (certainly not only language-)
based roots!", i.e., since I'm pleased to go on with Wolfgang's
metaphor, to do what Mr Marx has done to Mr Hegel's dialectics:
putting it back on its feet:)

Best,
Meryem
PS. Milton: no 'infocommunism' in there:))

--
Meryem Marzouki - http://www.iris.sgdg.org
IRIS - Imaginons un réseau Internet solidaire