[governance] Intergovernmental-/NG-Os & Siege agreement (was: Burr & Cade: proposal for introducingmulti-lateral oversight of the root

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 12:09:03 EDT 2006

Robert:

  You are totally right: the bulk of their budget is voted by the Canadian Parliament, and I beleive the President of the Board of Governors is appointed by the same Parliament. However, as far as I know, they (may) substantially complement their budget with private (non-governmental) funds, and they are not, unlike CIDA, a government agency in the sense that they don't have to implement the Canadian government policy of cooperation for development. That's why IDRC could start operating in South Africa before the formal end of apartheid, while CIDA could not.

  Now, I don't know if NGO is the right label for such organizations, or something else.

  Hope this clarifies.
  Regards,

  Mawaki

Robert Guerra <rguerra at lists.privaterra.org> wrote:
  Mawaki:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but as a tax paying Canadian I know that
IDRC gets part of their budget from the Canadian government. So , i
woundn't quite call them an NGO. In a way, they are a friendly GONGO..

Refs:

1. http://www.idrc.ca/en/ev-8513-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html
About IDRC
The International Development Research Centre (IDRC) is a public
corporation created by the Parliament of Canada in 1970

2. http://www.oecd.org/document/
11/0,2340,en_33873108_33873277_1915339_1_1_1_1,00.html
(from the OECD)
International Development Research Centre (www.idrc.ca/)
The International Development Research Centre is a public corporation
created by the Canadian government to help communities in the
developing world find solutions to social, economic, and
environmental problems through research.

regards

Robert

On 27-Jul-06, at 11:40 AM, Mawaki Chango wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, an example of a national org. with diplomatic
> status in some countries were they have a bureau is the Canadian IDRC
> (International Development Research Centre). It is the Development
> that is International, not the Centre. It is purely a Canadian
> organization though they are not a totally public/governmental
> agency, like CIDA (and though their staff is international due to
> their activities and coverage), and they have siege agreement with
> diplomatic prerogatives in several countries they are represented in,
> if not all. Many other NGOs are in the same situation.
>
> What about GTZ, by the way?

There's also the NED (USA, national endowment for Democracy) , German
Stiftungs (Boƫll, FES, and others) and several european foundations
that are funded in part part by national parliaments or the
goverments directly