[governance] IDRC (was Intergovernmental-/NG-Os & Siege agreement)

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Fri Jul 28 15:09:31 EDT 2006

IDRC is rare, but not unusual, in being a creature of the Act of
Parliament that established it.  It is defined in law as working at
arms-length to the Government of Canada.  It's Board of Governors is
autonomous while pursuing the objects and powers stated in the Act.
The Board reports to Parliament through the Minister of Foreign
Affairs, but not "to" that Minister.

Section 4. (1) of the IDRC Act says: "The objects of the Centre are
to initiate, encourage, support and conduct research into the
problems of the developing regions of the world and into the means
for applying and adapting scientific, technical and other knowledge
to the economic and social advancement of those regions and, in
carrying out those objects ...

Section 18. (1) of the IDRC Act says: "The Centre is not an agent of
Her Majesty, and, except as provided in subsection (2), the governors
and the officers, agents and employees of the Centre are not part of
the public service."

IDRC is fully capable of receiving funds from anywhere.  As per
Sections 20. (1) and (2) of the Act:

(1) The Centre shall establish, under its management in a bank or in
an authorized foreign bank within the meaning of section 2 of the
Bank Act that is not subject to the restrictions and requirements
referred to in subsection 524(2) of that Act in respect of its
business in Canada, an account to be known as the International
Development Research Centre Account, in this section called the
"Account".
(2) There shall be credited to the Account all amounts realized by
the Centre under this Act in carrying out research or technical
development or from providing any other services in Canada or
elsewhere under any contract or agreement.

I think IDRC provides a model worthy of study as to how a single
government can establish, and effectively support without undue
interference, an arms-length agency with a global mandate and reach.

(I should probably disclose that IDRC was my employer from 1983 to
1989 as Regional Programme Officer for Information Science in East
and Southern Africa).

Garth Graham

     governance at lists.cpsr.org