[governance] Intergovernmental-/NG-Os & Siege agreement (was: Burr & Cade: proposal for introducingmulti-lateral oversight of the root

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Thu Jul 27 13:08:00 EDT 2006

Mawaki:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but as a tax paying Canadian I know that
IDRC gets part of their budget from the Canadian government. So , i
woundn't quite call them an NGO. In a way, they are a friendly GONGO..

Refs:

1. http://www.idrc.ca/en/ev-8513-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html
About IDRC
The International Development Research Centre (IDRC) is a public
corporation created by the Parliament of Canada in 1970

2. http://www.oecd.org/document/
11/0,2340,en_33873108_33873277_1915339_1_1_1_1,00.html
(from the OECD)
International Development Research Centre (www.idrc.ca/)
The International Development Research Centre is a public corporation
created by the Canadian government to help communities in the
developing world find solutions to social, economic, and
environmental problems through research.

regards

Robert

On 27-Jul-06, at 11:40 AM, Mawaki Chango wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, an example of a national org. with diplomatic
> status in some countries were they have a bureau is the Canadian IDRC
> (International Development Research Centre). It is the Development
> that is International, not the Centre. It is purely a Canadian
> organization though they are not a totally public/governmental
> agency, like CIDA (and though their staff is international due to
> their activities and coverage), and they have siege agreement with
> diplomatic prerogatives in several countries they are represented in,
> if not all. Many other NGOs are in the same situation.
>
> What about GTZ, by the way?

There's also the NED (USA, national endowment for Democracy) , German
Stiftungs (Boƫll, FES, and others) and several european foundations
that are funded in part part by national parliaments or the
     governance at lists.cpsr.org