[governance] charter 1.5

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sat Jul 22 14:25:40 EDT 2006

Hi,

On 22 jul 2006, at 12.17, Parminder wrote:

> >in my understanding of the notion of intentionality, only people
> can have intentions.  if an abstract entity like a caucus has an
> intention it is only because its >membership has one.
>

> I think, organizations have intentions as well, which is more than
> or different from the sum of (independent) intentions of its
> constituents. I think this is very basic to definition, theory etc
> of organizations. We can of course speak of organizations seeking
> to, having the intention, working towards etc etc without having to
> speak of its members having the intention etc….. In fact, often my
> own independent intentions may not be exactly the same as that of
> the organization that I may constitute, IGC, in this case.

True, but in the sense of a charter, we are agreeing on a statement
that the members specifically intend.

> I saw the ‘membership’ clause in the draft closely, and I agreed
> with this clause as it stand, though I, and some others who have
> argued on this list, do have views about how groups/ organizations/
> interest groups based stakeholder-ship (going beyond a strict
> construction implied in ‘membership’) of IGC should be emphasized.
> And it is emphasized in the mission of the present draft, and in
> some parts of the tasks.
>

> And it also flows from the history of the caucus. For example, the
> webpage for the IGC list serve mentions that
>

>      This list is for a) public discussion of Internet governance
> issues, and b) coordination of the
> Internet Governance Caucus (IGC).  The IGC comprises individual and
> organizational civil society
> actors (emphasis added) that came together in the context of the
> World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) to
> promote global public interest objectives in Internet governance
> policy making.

yes, that is the historical page for the IGC as a WSIS CS committee.
I have looked at that and avoided changing it until after the charter
is approved.

> However, I also understand that for many process related issues,
> some kind of strict definition of membership aspects is necessary.
> And that the membership portion of the draft charter deals with
> this issue. And that perhaps it will be too complicated to get into
> organizational memberships in this respect. And to that extent, and
> for that strict purpose of fixing some necessary processes, it may
> be necessary to describe “the members of the IGC are individuals,
> acting in personal capacity”.
>
> So the issue of speaking about membership in relation to fixing
> some important IGC processes, is not the same as laying out IGC’s
> wider scope, domain, general constitution, stakeholdership,
> representative-ness etc, which I understand it is the intention of
> all of us to be a inclusive of what can go in the name of civil
> society as possible. It is in this sense that I have problems with
> mentioning ‘membership’ in the mission statement.

I understand.  And I realize that my objection may be more pedantic
than political.  so am willing to to go back to  the previous usage,
though for correctness sake, as far as i can tell from  the various
dictionary descriptions of usage i have consulted during this
conversation,  caucus, as committee,  takes a plural form of the
verb.  So it would be:

           The caucus intend ....

I still would like to hear other opinions.

thanks
a.