[governance] charter 1.5

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jul 22 12:17:27 EDT 2006

Hi Avri

>in my understanding of the notion of intentionality, only people can have
intentions.  if an abstract entity like a caucus has an intention it is only
because its >membership has one.

I think, organizations have intentions as well, which is more than or
different from the sum of (independent) intentions of its constituents. I
think this is very basic to definition, theory etc of organizations. We can
of course speak of organizations seeking to, having the intention, working
towards etc etc without having to speak of its members having the intention
etc... In fact, often my own independent intentions may not be exactly the
same as that of the organization that I may constitute, IGC, in this case.

I saw the 'membership' clause in the draft closely, and I agreed with this
clause as it stand, though I, and some others who have argued on this list,
do have views about how groups/ organizations/ interest groups based
stakeholder-ship (going beyond a strict construction implied in
'membership') of IGC should be emphasized. And it is emphasized in the
mission of the present draft, and in some parts of the tasks.

And it also flows from the history of the caucus. For example, the webpage
for the IGC list serve mentions that

     This list is for a) public discussion of Internet governance issues,
and b) coordination of the
Internet Governance Caucus (IGC).  The IGC comprises individual and
organizational civil society
actors (emphasis added) that came together in the context of the World
Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) to
promote global public interest objectives in Internet governance policy
making.

However, I also understand that for many process related issues, some kind
of strict definition of membership aspects is necessary. And that the
membership portion of the draft charter deals with this issue. And that
perhaps it will be too complicated to get into organizational memberships in
this respect. And to that extent, and for that strict purpose of fixing some
necessary processes, it may be necessary to describe "the members of the IGC
are individuals, acting in personal capacity".

So the issue of speaking about membership in relation to fixing some
important IGC processes, is not the same as laying out IGC's wider scope,
domain, general constitution, stakeholdership, representative-ness etc,
which I understand it is the intention of all of us to be a inclusive of
what can go in the name of civil society as possible. It is in this sense
that I have problems with mentioning 'membership' in the mission statement.

As for secret vote for charter adoption, I have already stated that I will
go with your decision on this. However, I was just emphasizing the issues
and values involved in my appeal for open voting once more. And this
connects with the wider scope and some kind of representation-ship of the
IGC group that I speak of above.

About 'cultural concerns' I only wondered if the language was the best that
can be used here, and if 'concerns' sound fine. Otherwise I agree altogether
with all that you say in your email about this issue. So, I am fine with it
going as it is.

Regards

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh