[governance] location

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 10:46:27 EST 2006

Dear all,

On that topic, please make the distinction between the location of the
secretariat and the location of the activities of the Forum.

I support the initial core of the secretariat to be located in Geneva, for
all the reasons already mentionned by others.

But the activities of the Forum (annual meetings, possible thematic meetings
in betwee and/or working groups meetings if any) can be distributed in
various locations, *and should be*.

Furthermore, there is no reason to force a single location in the long term
for secretariat activities. I would support indeed the notion of a
"distributed secretariat" progressively built around a certain number of
locations, to take advantage of in-kind support (for instance secondment by
certain entities), address certain specific issues and facilitate
inclusiveness.

The notion of a single secretariat location and a single venue for
events points towards the creation of a totally traditionnal
inter-governmental institution. Is this what we really need/want ? How
long before we discuss the creation of "permanent representatives" to the
IGF, with income-tax free status and the respective perks ? And the special
building of the Forum ?

Please keep the IGF in the spirit of the Internet, as discussed in Malta :
flexible, networked, distributed and scalable.

Bertrand