[governance] location

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Tue Feb 14 10:10:11 EST 2006

Hi Veni,

Also the current interim secretariat.

> Otherwise, travel to Geneva is also with visas. The argument against

Not like the US; people don't get turned down or have the pleasure of
interrogations and cavity searches.

> would be that in the case of other places, the expenses might be
> covered by the host country?

This is neither likely nor desirable.

> >If resources allow, there should also be geographically dispersed
> >meetings, either the annuals or parallel regionals.
>
> And this is not relevant for the work of the Secretariat. For the IGF
> or the Steering Group - yes, but the Secretariat does not need to
> meet in different places.

Of course

> >More generally, given the complex way the politics are shaping
> up, I would
> >suggest that we should be supportive of a UN-coordinated process building
> >out from prior experience.  CS would lose in any other configuration.
>
> I am not so sure that CS will lose, but otherwise I agree - the UN
> has gain some momentum for the CS. We have to use it.

The two halves of your sentence don't align, but I agree with your
conclusion, especially given the alternatives being bandied about.

Best,

Bill