[governance] Four legs good, two legs bad

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Dec 8 21:48:05 EST 2006

This whole debate about government is getting silly.

IGP publications have proposed that ICANN be formally accountable to
the rule of law (law being governmental, last time I looked); and that
the world's governments negotiate a framework convention to codify in a
binding fashion certain principles regarding the Internet (principles
which, we hope, will preserve and protect its freedoms rather than
undermine them).

So rather than getting caught in an Orwellian chant that governments
are two-legged and therefore intrinsically bad, to be answered by
equally uninteresting bleating that they are four-legged and therefore
intrinsically good, it might be better to talk about what you want the
governments to do, what you don't want them to do, what institutional
mechanisms might be deployed, and what checks and balances might exist
to counter the obvious tendency of states to wield power in ways that
benefit themselves or certain clients at the expense of the public
(especially in international arenas where there is no electorate, no
real rule of law, very little enforcability and very weak
accountability)

>>> db at dannybutt.net 12/7/2006 1:36:29 AM >>>
Hi Jeanette/all

I find it interesting that internet culture is so hostile to the idea

of government that even mild recognition quickly becomes
"glorification" :7. I have no great love for intergovernmental
systems, but they do some things relatively well, or at least better
than existing alternatives. Geographical diversity and due process
would be high on my list.

While I think that "transparency" in the development sector is highly

overrated (and often a tool to enable ICT-rich organisations to get
contracts where "publishing on the internet" is equated with
transparency), I agree it is an important component of
accountability. However, it's far from the only component, or even
the most important.

My point is that what constitutes "performance" will be assessed
differently by different people, and there is a rather large
geopolitical/socio-cultural imbalance in positive evaluations of
existing Internet Governance entities. Civil Society's stand on that
imbalance will, in my opinion, be critical to its long-term voice in
IG arrangements.

Or to put it more simply, if CS buys the line that everything is fine

as long as it gets seats at the table, then it may soon find itself
in an expensive, empty restaurant with bad food and worse company,
while the masses eat elsewhere.

Regards,

Danny

     governance at lists.cpsr.org