[governance] Re: Ronda:

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 11 11:02:50 EST 2006

The first step, it seems, is to recognize that the 'creative [tension] between "order and chaos" ' is where to start the thinking.  As I believe you suggest.

Then we can get to:  how to deal with the power that, inevitably, accrues in the process?  Again, as you say.  Well, the short answer must of course be:  'responsibly.'  But that is a [much] longer subject; there are papers.

Will that 'atmosphere where innovations occur' inexorably fade from the 'Internet [and] the exception that it once was'?  Or, can there be a recurrent cycle, periodically returning to that 'atmosphere'?  The history suggests, I believe (there is history again, as Ronda says), that indeed the 'Net has been built with such a cycle.

Your linguistic confrere, Voltaire, had something to say if I remember about 'habit' versus a frequency of 'once.'  I am pleased to learn (from that)!

David

     governance at lists.cpsr.org