[governance] New dot com agreement changes USG-ICANN relationship

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Mon Dec 4 04:12:53 EST 2006

Hasn't it always been the case that the government of the US (or any
economically powerful free-market economy) gives the "private sector"
a "leadership role" when that is coextensive with geopolitical
interests?

I always saw ICANN as being on a USG leash that would be pulled
whenever convenient, or if it became too international - regardless
of the formal wording of the MoU. Hopefully we can now dispense with
the distracting fiction that ICANN was an model of a mythical user-
led global internet. The primary actors in that organisation have
always been more or less in accord with USG interests, gestures
against "government control" notwithstanding.

 From my POV, a truly multistakeholder process advocated by civil
society has to assert multilateralism as one of its strongest
principles, rather than using idealist antipathy to any governmental
involvement as a way of avoiding the questions about who actually has
the power in IG arrangements.

Danny

On 04/12/2006, at 6:45 AM, Wolfgang Kleinwächter wrote:

> Is there any offcial comment by the USG on the ITU Resolution 102
> from Antalya? Is there some interpretation what means what? US
> Government obviously has supported (or watered down and when yes
> what was the earlier version?) the text. You will find in the
> adopted text seven times "enhanced cooperation", half a dozen times
> "domain names and IP addresses" but ICANN is not mentioned at all.
> Is this a new US double-strategy? Or a farewell to "private sector
> leadership"?
>
> wolfgang

Danny Butt
db at dannybutt.net | http://www.dannybutt.net
Suma Media Consulting | http://www.sumamedia.com
Private Bag MBE P145, Auckland, Aotearoa New Zealand
Ph: +64 21 456 379 | Fx: +64 21 291 0200

     governance at lists.cpsr.org