[governance] Global Internet Task Force

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Thu Apr 27 18:17:48 EDT 2006

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on the list already. If not,
might be worthwhile to review information on and about the  (GIFT)  and
the recently released EU position..

regards

Robert

--

Media Note
Office of the Spokesman

Global Internet Task Force Meeting Focuses on Advancing Freedom on Web
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2006/64149.htm

The second meeting of the Global Internet Freedom Task Force (GIFT)
"discussed practical and constructive strategies to advance Internet
freedom," said Under Secretary for Economic, Business and Agricultural
Affairs Josette Shiner, who chaired the April 3 meeting.

"The Internet, a powerful force for advancing knowledge and spreading
information, is increasingly a target for censors," Shiner said.

The multidisciplinary U.S. State Department group reviewed issues,
including increased monitoring of Internet censorship, discussions with
U.S. businesses, NGOs and academics on the challenges overseas and
technologies that help break down barriers to Internet access. "In
particular, we focused on challenges to Internet freedom in Iran, Cuba
and China," Shiner added.

"This is an issue that resonates all over the globe – from individuals
who depend on information from the Internet to connect them to what is
happening in the rest of the world to businesses that contribute to the
world economy through e-enterprise. I’ve been very impressed with the
ideas emerging from the private sector and the nongovernmental community
as they think through these issues. This thinking will help us as we
develop the best strategy to maximize access to information over the
Internet and minimize the success of repressive regimes in using the
Internet to censor debate and silence dissidents."

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice established the Global Internet
Freedom Task Force (GIFT) on February 14, 2006. It is chaired by Under
Secretary for Economic, Business and Agricultural Affairs Josette Shiner
and Under Secretary for Democracy and Global Affairs Paula Dobriansky.

For more information on the GIFT, please go to www.state.gov/e.