[governance] individuals

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Apr 26 01:01:02 EDT 2006

> On 25 apr 2006, at 16.48, Meryem Marzouki wrote:
>
> You said yourself that you "have occasionally looked at NGO's and
> tried to put their particpation into perspective."
> Do you think you could ever say that you "have occasionally looked at
> individuals and tried to put their particpation into perspective." ?

Yes, of course, anyone who participates in online or f2f politics stats to learn that there are patterns to individual participation -- some are obviously in it for themselves, others follow the herd, others have peculiar, idiosyncratic dramas that they insist on acting out, etc.

>I meant that you can do (and make public) research and assessment on
>this or that NGO (or group). You cannot do that on this or that
>individual (well, if you do, at best s/he will answer that s/he

Your assertion is so obviously not true that you yourself had to immediately backtrack from it. We can and do perform research and assessment on individuals. What are their positions? Where do they get their money? What have they done in the past?

>changed his/her mind, and at worst s/he will feel personally attacked
>and do what s/he has to do).

And you don't think those who run organizations feel personally attacked when you research and assess them? Let me tell you a few stories about our case studies of NGOs involved in transnational cip when we are in private....