[governance] individuals

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Apr 26 06:41:55 EDT 2006

Bram Dov Abramson ha scritto:
> But in case not.  Imagine if some definition was agreed upon for "civil
> society organisation"; if any such CSO could submit to the IGF an
> any-length list of voters; if any voter could appear on, I don't know,
> zero to two voters' lists; if an election was so convened to represent
> civil society.

This is actually one of the ideas we had in mind for the "ICANN At Large
2.0" effort. However, there are a couple of fundamental problems, since
you can't trust all CSOs to produce true lists of voters without
cheating, as their weight in the process is directly proportional to how
many people they put onto their list. First, it is very difficult to
verify that all people on a CSO list are real, and not just fake names
and email accounts; and second, they could nonetheless fill up their
lists with real individuals that don't even know about being there. (You
also have the conceptual issue of individuals being members of more than
one CSO and so possibly counting more than once.)

So either you centralize the creation of the voters roll, which solves
the second problem, but leaves you with the first; or give up on this
model altogether, acknowledge that you can't reliably assess the size of
NGOs, and go by a "one org one vote" model, which however leaves the way
open to the opposite type of cheating, i.e. people forming many fake
tiny organizations just to gain votes.

For the European At Large, I've been proposing a model (yet to be
discussed) which is sort of half and half, e.g. organizations can
accredit themselves and appoint one representative each; individuals can
accredit themselves (with their identity being verified at random with
simple manageable procedures) and appoint one representative every X of
them. (If you're really interested, the link is
http://bertola.eu.org/euralo_principles.pdf )

However, as I said before, this is a structure conceived for a purely
representational model, in which the main objective of the structure is
to elect representatives at the topmost level (which would be elected by
the council of intermediate reps composed as above). This caucus is very
different, as its structure should be more focused on consensus building
and position making, rather than on selecting representatives; and as
its size is supposed to be (at least for the foreseeable future) much
smaller than the At Large. So, personally, I think that we can still get
away with the "group of peer individuals" structure, which is the
simplest one, and the easiest to manage.

> The process itself is no doubt clunky and subject to streamlining and
> tamper-proofing and so forth -- you'd want rules in place that avoided
> CSOs which simply signed people up in order to give them a vote (or
> would you?), and there are lots of ways to do that, too -- but that's
> hardly the point, I think.

It exactly is the point: the process seems nice and clean in theory, but
gets more and more difficult as you get into practicalities, up to the
point of becoming almost impossible to implement with the scarce means
of civil society. (Sure, if you had access to each country's official
population records, or if you had people paid to deal with checking
identities, or if you could get all domain resellers of the world to
authenticate their customers... but you don't.)