[governance] individuals

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Apr 26 04:17:24 EDT 2006

Le 26 avr. 06 à 07:01, Milton Mueller a écrit :

>> On 25 apr 2006, at 16.48, Meryem Marzouki wrote:
>>
>> I meant that you can do (and make public) research and assessment on
>> this or that NGO (or group). You cannot do that on this or that
>> individual (well, if you do, at best s/he will answer that s/he
>
> Your assertion is so obviously not true that you yourself had to
> immediately backtrack from it. We can and do perform research and
> assessment on individuals. What are their positions? Where do they
> get their money? What have they done in the past?

Oh really? I'm eager to read your research and assessment on, let's
say, individuals involved in the IGC as individuals, provided that it
does look neither like a tabloid (which I'm not interested in), nor
like a law suit (which should be sent to someone else).

>> changed his/her mind, and at worst s/he will feel personally attacked
>> and do what s/he has to do).
>
> And you don't think those who run organizations feel personally
> attacked when you research and assess them?

That's not the point since _you_ haven't attacked them personally.
It's their problem if they feel they _are_  (or if they actually are)
the organization. In any case, they should answer as an organization,
i.e. w.r.t. their publicly told purpose and objectives.

> Let me tell you a few stories about our case studies of NGOs
> involved in transnational cip when we are in private....

What? Some NGO leaders gossip? I assume the NGO research and
assessment part has been published, so what remains that could only
be told in private must be gossip. More seriously, if you can only
tell that in private, aren't you getting to my point on accountability?
[BTW, I already know what you'd tell me, at least regarding some of
them:)]