[governance] coordinating the IGC

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Apr 24 03:43:41 EDT 2006

Vittorio:

I personally would be quite disturbed if the caucus took the road of the organizational membership, similarly to the HR Caucus (which however had some specific reasons for that, as pointed out before). I would recommend that caucus members do not wear hats while working here, and do not act as representatives of this or that NGO, but as individual human beings.  I think that we should not forget that the Internet, even in the user rights advocacy field, has been up to now very often, if not mostly, shaped by lonely active individuals. I was already concerned by the idea of organizational endorsements in our selection processes, as if names put forward by organizations were for that very reason more deserving of consideration. I would not be able to recognize myself in this caucus any more, if it became practically dominated by a few big NGOs.

Wolfgang:

I can only support Vittorio. Over-organization is counter-productive, as you can see from the four years of ICANNs ALAC . Vittorio, why you did not argue within ALAC when you chaired the body as you do now?

Regards

wolfgang