[governance] individuals

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Fri Apr 28 15:32:57 EDT 2006

>>> Danny Butt <db at dannybutt.net> 4/28/2006 6:56 AM >>>
>No one ever suggested not having individuals here.
>But the mere mention of the word "NGO" raises a kneejerk
>response

I think you may have misunderstood the responses, just as some probably misunderstood your own intervention. You say:

>NGOs are about scaling capacity to work on issues, and
>about collective action. We should be able to
>make use of their work instead of resisting it for ideological
>reasons.

Echoing your own statement, no one ever suggested not having NGOs here. I am part of an NGO. APC is here, IT4Change, ACSIS, CPSR. The HR organizations that Meryem lobbies for (quick, how many HR entrepreneurs are there on this list?) are NGOs.

Who is "resisting making use of their work?"

Thus, if no one ever suggesting not having individuals or NGOs here, I think Jeanette's intervention was quite appropriate:

> aren't most participants contributing on this list in an
> individual capacity? Has anybody seriously suggested to restrict the
> caucus to organizational members? I guess I don't understand what all
> this debate on individuals is about. What did I miss?
> thx, jeanette

If this is to be a constructive conversation, we have to have some kind of a proposal or poposition on the table. I liked the one Avri put forward. Can we move forward with that?