[governance] A minimalist solution

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Mon Apr 3 10:19:59 EDT 2006

Bill,

First, let me make some of my points clearer:

- I never meant that nominating people to the MAG (and the process to
reach this goal) was bad or should be stopped. Just expressing
disappointment on the submission process, in comparison.

- I don't necessarily want to drop proposal by any caucus members.
Just pointing out how strange it could now appear that the IGC  makes
a proposal already made by another caucus. Other caucuses also want
their "brand" appearing in the process, that's normal. An what does
that mean to have same submissions from different caucuses (this is
different from a _common_ submission) ? What it means with regards to
CS (lack of) coordination? For this reason, wouldn't it be preferable
to leave these proposals made by African CS ?

Now on your comment and suggestions:

- I understand your comment on the letter I proposed. In any case, it
would have had a meaning only if accompanyied by a set of priority on
all submissions. Let's forget about this

- Your minimal suggestion... is really minimal! Why not including
something along your previous suggestion, at least:

> Another simple approach would be to include in each proposal a
> standardized
> caption like "Theme Proposal for the IGF Submitted by the IGC" and a
> disclaimer paragraph so that readers see this came from the caucus
> space but
> there's no prioritization or specific endorsement of each, why
> they're all
> in Bertrand's standardized format, etc...It wouldn't be hard to
> write this,
> but there's no point if there's not much interest here in
> preserving the
> brand etc...

Meryem