[governance] A minimalist solution

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Mon Apr 3 09:39:56 EDT 2006

Hi Meryem,

Snipping..

While I understand your concern, I don't know that we could reach consensus
to drop proposals by caucus members just because of their other
affiliations.

> Remaining proposals are: Parminder's, Bill's, Garth's, Ginger's.
> Maybe other to come (APC? others?).
> The status of Milton's proposal (under IGP) is unclear w.r.t. to any
> IGC "claim".

Yes, since they use the caucus format but make no mention of the caucus.

> This situation is really a pity. This shows where we are, not only in
> the governance caucus, but in CS as a whole. No priority, not even
> coordination, only weakness. Not even a status quo, but steps
> backwards. And be sure governments and the IGF secretariat will take
> due note of this.

Yes

> I would rather propose that a letter be sent to the IGF, asking them
> to kindly publish it on its website, when all proposals will be
> received, saying that the IGC has made no proposal under its name on
> purpose, so as to let all CS component to freely express its
> priorities and to demonstrate the need for a large number of working
> groups. The IGC acting here as a facilitator forsome CS components
> w.r.t. IGF issues.

I can't help thinking that anyone outside the caucus who read this letter
would wonder why they're reading it.  It's an internal process point of no
interest to anyone else.

> I'm also wondering how members of this caucus may dare think of
> nominating people to the MAG, when it's not even possible to gather
> proposals and send them in a consistent and responsible way. It's
> really disappointing.

Here we disagree.  While the proposal submission process was a mess, the
nomcom process worked and should go forward.  I see no advantage to
abandoning it now, and doubt that all the people who agreed to participate
would accept doing so.

Back to the proposals: Since rather few people have participated in the
dialogue on this matter, I don't think we can achieve consensus by tomorrow
on any kind of standardized framing or disclaimer text that goes beyond the
one thing we agreed on, which was to employ Bertrand's six point framework
for justifying the proposals.  So why don't we simply leverage that to the
end of establishing some caucus branding?  A centralized process of
collection and resubmission would be nice, but if that's too ambitious, I'd
suggest that people simply send directly to the secretariat revised
proposals that begin with the following statement:

[NB: The below is in the standardized format agreed by the civil society
Internet Governance Caucus for IGF theme submissions from its members]

This would give us an element of caucus branding, making it clear that the
proposals are from caucus members, and anyone looking at them would infer
that they were probably discussed in the caucus.  As to anything else, like
does this mean each proposal is actually endorsed by the caucus collectively
or does the caucus view some issues as priorities relative to others, well,
we creatively fudge the questions and let them draw their own conclusions.

Attached by way of example is what I will be sending the secretariat, unless
someone has a better idea soon.

Best,

Bill