[governance] APC text on Forum function

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Thu Sep 29 05:50:29 EDT 2005

On Gio, 29 Settembre 2005 11:35, karen banks disse:
> Establish transparent membership criteria that is consistent with:
>
> - The Geneva Principles on participation from multiple stakeholder groups
> (paragraph 48 of the WSIS Declaration of Principles)
>
> - The technical, legal, public policy and other areas of expertise
> required
> to respond to the range of issues related to the BROAD definition of
> internet governance
>
> - Regional and linguistic diversity and the disparities that exist in
> relation to economic development and access to the information society,
> within countries and between countries
>
> Convene a public nomination process that is open to:
>
> - Governments
> - Business entities
> - The technical community
> - Academic and educational institutions
> - Civil society organizations
> - Community based organizations and grassroots communities

Sorry, you know that I'm picky on this, but: why not individuals? The
Internet has grown through policy and standards making processes that were
open to anyone showing up (either physically or electronically), without
asking for an organizational accreditation; the Internet community is very
keen on keeping this principle. Also, we are trying the accreditation way
at ICANN... with, honestly, unsatisfying results.

Why don't we/you simply say that the forum and its processes should be
open to anyone who wants to participate in any capacity?
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...