[governance] APC text on Forum function

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Thu Sep 29 05:35:36 EDT 2005

hi

noting that canada has developed more concrete proposals, would like to
share what anriete, willie and i have just drawn up on other aspects of forum..

we will submit this as APC but if others find parts of this useful, we
could work up something for tonight..

karen

-------

APC submission for Chapter 5 of the Chair's paper (DT/10)
Follow up and possible future arrangements
September 29th 2005

APC proposal regarding the establishment of a multi-stakeholder forum to
address Internet-related public policy issues

Scope
-----

We support the scope for the Forum outlined in the report of the WGIG
particularly in paragraphs 40, 41, 42, 43 and 45. We also support the
GLOCOM statement on the Forum function (paragraph 62 of the Compilation
document DT/10).

In addition, the scope of the work of the Forum should address the
application of existing international human rights instruments in the area
of internet governance and related public policy.

In the context of the evolving public and technical policy landscape of the
Internet there will be a need to concretize binding international
agreements that relate to:

-        the architectural principles of the Internet, including
interoperability, openness and the end-to-end principle

-        ensuring that nothing in existing or emerging internet governance
and related public policy development impair, restrict, or contradict human
rights, as they are spelled out in the UDHR and international law

The forum should monitor this evolving landscape with a view to the
initiation of a process to concretize such international agreements.

Anchorage and legal identity
-----------------------------

We propose that initially the Forum NOT be anchored in any existing
international organization.

We propose that the Forum be constituted as an independent international
organization incorporated under national law in any country that provides
for the legal establishment of international not-for-profit institutions.

We propose that the process of convening and formally constituting the
Forum, as a free-standing legal entity, take place under the oversight of
the Secretary General of the UN.

Constituting the membership
----------------------------

We propose the following steps, under the oversight of the SG of the UN:

Establish transparent membership criteria that is consistent with:

- The Geneva Principles on participation from multiple stakeholder groups
(paragraph 48 of the WSIS Declaration of Principles)

- The technical, legal, public policy and other areas of expertise required
to respond to the range of issues related to the BROAD definition of
internet governance

- Regional and linguistic diversity and the disparities that exist in
relation to economic development and access to the information society,
within countries and between countries

Convene a public nomination process that is open to:

- Governments
- Business entities
- The technical community
- Academic and educational institutions
- Civil society organizations
- Community based organizations and grassroots communities

Structure and functioning
-------------------------

We endorse paragraph 46 of the WGIG report that emphasizes a lightweight
support structure.

Coordination of the work of the Forum can be provided by a small staff,
working under the guidance of an executive committee elected from the
membership, by the membership.

Members of the Forum can self-organise into thematic working groups on an
as needed basis to respond to both existing and emerging internet
governance and public policy challenges.

Meetings of the Forum and thematic working groups can take place
face-to-face and online.

An annual meeting should take place, face to face, and be combined with a
public event that maximizes sharing of information, learning and good
practice. The venue should rotate.

Access to the work of the Forum, and its thematic working groups, should be
facilitated by online tools for example as is done by the IETF (Internet
Engineering Task Force).