[governance] Canada text on Forum function

Mr. Robert Guerra rguerra at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 06:01:29 EDT 2005

Here's a copy of the text Canada proposed this morning. I would be
keen that it be considered in whole or in part by the CS IG caucus.

The Canadian delegation is keen to hear comments - and keen to hear
the CS view on their proposal

regards

Robert

Canada

Proposed Terms of Reference for Forum on Internet Governance
To be inserted either in section 4 (Development), or section 5 (The
Way Forward)

================
NEW PARAGRAPH (# to be determined)

We commit to establishing a new forum mechanism, dedicated to
enhancing the capacity of all stakeholders, particularly those from
developing countries, to participate fully and effectively in all
forums relevant to Internet governance.  Recognizing the rapid
development of technology and institutions, we propose that the forum
mechanism periodically be reviewed to determine the need for its
continuation.  Further, we propose that it be constituted as a
neutral, non-duplicative and non-binding process chiefly to
facilitate the exchange of information and best practices and to
identify issues that are not otherwise being adequately addressed.
The forum mechanism should be viewed as a continuation of the
"multistakeholder" approach of the WSIS, building on the valuable
lessons learned in the WSIS and WGIG processes, in particular I the
open WGIG consultations.

We call upon all stakeholders to engage in and fully support this
important new mechanism.  The forum mechanism should be established
in a timely fashion to:
·      Strengthen and enhance stakeholders’ engagement in existing
and future Internet governance mechanisms, particularly for those
from developing countries;
·      Develop capacity to participate in discussions and decisions
on pertinent topics under consideration in relevant institutions;
·      Encourage the full involvement and participation of all
stakeholders and experts engaged in Internet governance to benefit
from their expertise, including those of the academic and scientific
communities, to facilitate coordination and collaboration, and to
avoid duplication;
·      Make full use of the tools of the information society to
conduct capacity building activities, minimizing the need for
conferences and face-to-face meetings; and
·      Establish ongoing electronic forums on pertinent topics and,
when appropriate, create a permanent on-line record for future use in
capacity development activities, and to continue to add value over time.