[governance] draft statement

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Sep 29 11:50:15 EDT 2005

with edits done (even fixed one of my own typos]

& do you still have the same concerns after this meeting?  i added a
line on human rights.

Statement on new chapter 5 proposals
Sep 29

Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus

Good evening everyone.

My name is Izumi Aizu of Glocom speaking on behalf of the Civil
Society Internet Governance Caucus.

First, we welcome the fact that Subcom A has finally started to
discuss the core issues .

Civil society welcomes the proposal made this morning by the
delegation of Canada. We think it embodies the Geneva Principle of
multi-stakeholdership including the full and equal participation
principle, and greater emphasis on inclusion from developing parts of
the world. We also welcome the explicit recognition of the WGIG
process, the open consultation process.

With this encouraging proposal from Canada, Civil Society would like
to reiterate our position on participation: We seek for full and
equal participation of all stakeholders as a matter of principle and
a matter of practice.

On the proposal made by the European Union, we have carefully read
and analyzed it and have come to the following conclusion. First, we
like to thank EU for having informal consultation with Civil Society
this afternoon. We had very constructive meeting and made a
meaningful dialogue. As we said during the meeting, we have some
concerns and reservations in the following areas.

While we also believe that some adjustments or improvement is
necessary in the area of Internet Governance, including that of the
current ICANN framework,  we do not agree that governments alone
should be given any special role over other stakeholders as is
expressed in this new EU proposal. We do not agree with the language
in para 63. which says “with the special emphasis on the
complementarity between all the actors involved … including
governments, the private sector, civil society and international
organizations each of them in its field of competence;”, we have
problem with “each of them in its field of competence “ which would
confine our ability for full engagement, especially since the agreed
language in para 42c attempts to limit civil society to community
activity.

We do appreciate your inclusion of the 'end-to-end principle' in
para. 63 since that gives the maximum level of freedom to users at
the edge of the network.

We also do not support “Para 64. Essential tasks” as a whole. We do
not think that the areas described from a) to e) in specifics should
rest under the sole involvement of international government
involvement, which is clearly against the multi-stakeholder principle
WSIS has agreed with.

We also do not agree with the limited duration of the Forum.  We see
the need for the periodic review as is described in Canada proposal,
but are not in full support of the default sun-set provision the EU
proposes. With the same concern, we have doubts about the 2 phase
approach of creating the Forum first, finish that, and then starting
the transition.

Finally we have grave concern about the the level and application of
International law, especially with relation to human rights, of the
cooperation models.

We hope that EU together with other colleagues here in Geneva will
find ways to improve these areas and come together for mutually
agreeable solution. Again we need true multi-stakeholder practice
with full and equal participation.

Thank you very much.