[governance] draft statement

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Sep 29 10:59:13 EDT 2005

hi,

a quick pass  with adds, deletes and replace]

Statement on new proposals
Sep 29

Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus

Good evening everyone.

My name is Izumi Aizu[Delete:, succeeding the co-coordinator’s role
of the] [add: of Glocom speaking on behalf of the] Civil Society
Internet Governance Caucus [delete: from my colleague Adam Peake at
GLOCOM].

[delete: First we would like to thank all the efforts the delegations
are now putting to conclude this two week long session of PrepCom 3.
We hope we can go back home with the tangible product of mutual
cooperation and collaboration tomorrow.

[delete: Now, we again would like to express our great concern,
however, about the working modality of the Drafting Group sessions
which essentially deny us from meaningful participation. We like to
remind you that all of the non-governmental stakeholders, the private
sector, international organizations and us, the citizens, or the
civil society are your essential partners, that was agreed under the
Geneva WSIS principles. Therefore we strongly urge you to reconsider
this negative situation and start implement far more constructive and
productive working method for any of the remaining work as well as
all the work of the Tunis summit, follow up and future works ahead.

[delete: On the progress being made at the Subcomitee A on Internet
Governance, we would like to share the following observations.

First, we welcome [add: the fact] that Subcom A [add: has] finally
started to discuss the core issues [delete:in its full slot at this
very end of the session.]

Civil society welcomes the proposal made this morning by the
delegation of Canada. We think it embodies the Geneva Principle of
multi-stakeholdership  [replace; with/including the] full and equal
participation principle, and greater emphasis on inclusion from
developing parts of the world. We also welcome the explicit
recognition of the WGIG process, the open consultation process.

With this encouraging proposal from Canada, Civil Society would like
to [replace: retaliate/reiterate] our position on participation
[delete: once again] : We seek for full and equal participation of
all stakeholders as a matter of principle and a matter of practice.

On the proposal made by the European Union, we have carefully read
and analyzed it and [replace: came/ have come] to the following
conclusion. First, we like to thank EU for having informal
consultation with Civil Society this afternoon. We had very
constructive meeting and made a meaningful dialogue. As we said
during the meeting, we have some concerns and reservations in the
following areas.

While we also [replace: share/believe] that some adjustments or
improvement is necessary in the area of Internet Governance,
including that of the current ICANN framework, [add: but] we do not
agree that governments alone [replace:  will/should] be given any
special role over other stakeholders [replace: which/as ] is
expressed in this new EU proposal. We do not agree with the language
in para 63. which says “with the special emphasis on the
complementarity between all the actors involved … including
governments, the private sector, civil society and international
organizations each of them in its field of competence;”, we have
problem with “each of them in its field of competence “ which would
confine our ability for full engagement, [add: especially since the
agreed language in para 42c attempts to limit civil society to
community  activity]

We also do not support “Para 64. Essential tasks” as a whole. We do
not think that the areas described from a) to e) in specifics should
rest under the sole involvement of international government
involvement, which is clearly against the multi-stakeholder principle
WSIS has agreed with.

We also do not agree [add: with] the limited [repalce: nature/
duration] of [add: the] Forum [add: .][delte: , with predefined
period.] We see the need for the periodic review as is described in
Canada proposal, but [add: are] not in full support of the default
sun-set provision EU proposes. With the same concern, we have doubt
[s] about the 2 phase approach [replace:  to create / or creating]
Forum first, finish that, and then start[ing] the transition.

We hope that EU together with other colleagues here in Geneva will
find ways to improve these areas and come together for mutually
agreeable solution. Again we need true multi-stakeholder practice
[repalce: in/with] full and equal [replace: footing/particpation].

Thank you very much.