[governance] draft statement

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Thu Sep 29 12:05:37 EDT 2005

Looks OK although I am not sure what you mean by "Finally we have grave
concern about the the level and application of International law, especially
with relation to human rights, of the cooperation models.". There are issues
on how Iwhat is public and private international law in ICT field.
International law in Human Rights is often countered by the argument of
national sovereignity. Perhaps the words they already use in WGIG e.g.
"freedom of expression" or even "right to communicate" which ITU and others
discuss, may be better received and they can mean the same thing- just a
suggestion.

As for cooperation models, sounds good but again it is new territory so are
you referring to any particular model that countries have agreed to under
international law. Do you mean they have to give everyone equal voices in
this new cooperation model. We tried to invoke some "trust" or "cooperation"
models used under the "common heritage of mankind" principle- if you read
our statement. Under that concept, again there are no real models that apply
as they currently are cooperative models between stakeholders but civil
society is a new player there too. We are in new ground, and other than
that, no real issue other than let's be clear to get the best effect.

Thanks for the hard work you and others have put into trying to get
statements out and to help the process along.

Regards,
Laina
signing off at midnight in Singapore

  _____