[governance] draft text on political oversight

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Tue Sep 27 12:16:18 EDT 2005

Hi Wolfgang,

While I understand the motivation in giving this level of specificity in terms of political oversight, I think it's playing into the wrong hands.

The more China insists on ignoring you now, the less whatever language coming out of Prepcom matters, and certainly as Milton and Michael have noted there is no consensus on each of your additional points - some maybe but not collectively.

So if this whole exercise gets derailed as a 'China, Iran and the UN claim control of the Internet' bogeyman - I can already see the CNN live report - (and you see how narrowly Brazil just escaped being in the headline), you don't want to be standing around and seen as possibly aiding and abetting.

So I'd say slow down, pick and choose items for disussion VERY carefully, and postpone to the next scrimmage issues that are not ripe for resolution now. Like how exactly poltiical oversight functions might or might not shift, beyond the consensus that ccTLDs are/should be under soverign control.

If we can leave Geneva with a compromise in favor of the Forum function, and with some langauge on the need for review and reform of oversight, to be worked out in time, that's not a bad outcome.

There's this not insignificant matter that neither ICANN nor IANA has to do a thing China or the UN tells it to.So while in UN halls the need to kiss up to governments is naturally strong. But out on the net it's not : )

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University