[governance] draft text on political oversight

William Drake wdrake at cpsr.org
Tue Sep 27 10:55:46 EDT 2005

Hi Jeanette,

Yes the server has been slow this morning and I wrote to the guy who
maintains it.  He's in San Francisco, nine hours behind, hasn't responded
yet.  It's possible he had to make a software tweak or something.  CPSR is
moving all its email to a commercial provider in the next couple of weeks
so there will be 24x7 support and probably much better performance.  Sorry
about the bad timing, shouldn't happen again after the change over.

> > I tried several days ago to say we need to start having a focused
> > discussion on four oversight issues and to decide how to
> proceed if there
> > was no agreement, but there was no response, everyone's too busy.  Now
> > we're here.
>
> This is not true, Bill. There were many replies to your message. Just
> have a look at the thread.

There were two threads, one called oversight, another I tried to start
with the add on, (four decision points).  The latter, which posed four
specific points, got about three responses.  Anyway, it doesn't matter
where or how, I'm just saying we haven't really made significant progress
toward consensus positions on some of the difficult institutional issues
and didn't want to see someone sending an outraged post hoc statement.

> I can't imagine that the statement will cause problems. I didn't even
> introduce myself as coordinator of the IG caucus to avoid confusion on
> the status and origin of the statement.

Yes I heard that, good call.  But for the purpose of document submission,
will we simply not do something labeled as the caucus?

> Regarding your hiding plans. As far as I remember you organize a side
> event on political oversight tomorrow. I suppose some of us will see you
> there? :-)

Yes, just didn't mention.  Again, for those who are around, please do
come, it might help us on the consensus dimension:

The Internet Governance Oversight Function

Wednesday, 28 September, 13:00-15:00 Room XVI

Chairperson:

William Drake, President, CPSR; Geneva (former WGIG member)

Speakers:
·	Carlos Afonso, Director of Planning, Information Network for the Third
Sector; Member, Brazil's Internet Steering Committee; Rio de Janeiro
(former WGIG member)

·	Izumi Aizu, Deputy Director, Institute for HyperNetwork Society;
Secretary, Internet Governance Task Force of Japan; Tokyo

·	Avri Doria, Research Consultant; member, CPSR; Providence, Rhode Island
(former WGIG member)

·	Raul Echeberria, Executive Director/CEO, Latin America and Caribbean
Internet Addresses Registry; Montevideo (former WGIG member)

·	Jeanette Hofmann, Researcher, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für
Sozialforschung; Co-Facilitator, WSIS Internet Governance Caucus; Berlin

·	Wolfgang Kleinwaechter, Professor, International Communication Policy
and Regulation, University of Aarhus; Aarhus (former WGIG member)