[governance] ccTLD regulation [WAS Re: Statement made in Plenary]

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Mon Oct 3 11:10:42 EDT 2005

Well, since you ask...

Goodness knows that no one is currently more removed from what is really
going on behind the scenes at WSIS than I.  But from a distance, the most
meritorious concern that governments have is the idea that regulation of
'their' ccTLD would in some way be constrained by US/California law.

Let me start by saying that in fact I don't accept, as a theoretical
matter, the idea that a ccTLD 'belongs' to a government.  Details are in
When We Say US(TM), We Mean It!, 41 Hous. L. Rev. 839 (2004), available at
www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/ccTLDs-TM.pdf, so I won't repeat
those arguments here.

But, working from realpolitik considerations, it seems to me that
giving ccTLD regulation to the ITU or some purpose-made body makes a
degree of sense.  Certainly more sense, anyway, that it does for gTLDs (a
group that in my view of the world includes so-called sTLDs). The issues
about recognition of appropriate delegates of ccTLDs (cf. .iq) are often
very different from the issues of what company is qualified to run a TLD
and what the string might be.  They involve very difference competencies
and have different sorts of political and even economic implications.
Arguably, they require different sorts of accountability mechanisms too,
and those are primarily either internal to the country that claims the
2-letter TLD, or truly international.  And both those things are very
different from a gTLD.

I could say even more if you required, but I think that's the essence.

It also seems to me that as a compromise position this offers something
for almost everyone...

--
http://www.icannwatch.org   Personal Blog: http://www.discourse.net
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin at law.tm