[governance] news of new IANA staff

Bret Fausett fausett at lextext.com
Mon Oct 10 14:34:14 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 11:41 +0200, Patrick Vande Walle wrote:
> On a related note, Karl Auberach suggests that the
> IANA function is really a job for the IETF and not for ICANN. Is there
> any ground for that assertion, short of the fact that the IANA was
> (sort of) part of the IETF in the past ?

As defined by the service contract, the IANA function is quite broad.
Some parts of it, such as the assignment of technical protocol
parameters (which Karl refers to as a secretarial job), might be
appropriate for the IETF, if the IETF wanted to do it.* Other parts of
the IANA function concern root zone management and responsibility for
unallocated IP address blocks, which I think you would want to keep with
the existing structure.

You can see a definition of the IANA function in this contract:
http://www.icann.org/general/iana-contract-17mar03.htm

           -- Bret

* I said "if the IETF wanted to do it" because I'm not sure that the
IETF wants this job. If it does, I'm not aware of any previous IETF
statements asking for this responsibility. If the IETF, or anyone else,
wants all or some of the IANA responsibilities, they should bid for them
when the IANA function comes up for renewal.