[governance] news of new IANA staff

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Mon Oct 10 15:59:29 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 06:34:14PM +0000,
 Bret Fausett <fausett at lextext.com> wrote
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> Some parts of it, such as the assignment of technical protocol
> parameters (which Karl refers to as a secretarial job), might be
> appropriate for the IETF, if the IETF wanted to do it.* Other parts
> of the IANA function concern root zone management and responsibility
> for unallocated IP address blocks, which I think you would want to
> keep with the existing structure.

There are other ways to split IANA's work. For instance, "root zone
management" could be split between a purely technical function
(changing IP addresses and phone numbers of the contacts), something
which could be done with less than a clerical employee or, better,
automatized, and a political function, mostly the redelegations, which
cannot be seen as purely technical.