[governance] news of new IANA staff

Peter Dambier peter at echnaton.serveftp.com
Mon Oct 10 09:53:19 EDT 2005

Veni Markovski wrote:
> At 13:45 10-10-05  +0200, Peter Dambier wrote:
>
>>>What is this political problem which they can't solve by their work?
>>>
>>>veni
>>
>>Censoring
>>
>>For the internet to work as designed you cannot afford censoring
>>at all.
>

> Do you really think this is unavoidable?

Censoring means introducing bugs. Bugs mean misbehaviour.

Those people introducing the bugs have no idea of the collateral
damage they are doing because they are no technicans.

>>How can this be soved by a lot of work?
>>
>>It is not a technical problem. It involves different laws
>>in different countries.

I think the problem should be solved in the country it arises.

If something is not allowed in the USA it is their polititians
who have to do their work in their country.

If the server is not in the USA then it is not their problem.

Same goes for all other countries.

Today people have to work in different countries. They have to
choose because of their work. If I move from germany to the
Netherlands I am allowed smoking pott. In germany I may not.

But how about the internet? There are sites not allowed in
germany but in the Netherlands they are. It is the same
internet. So it makes sense to allow those servers.nl and
at the same time not to allow the server.de

Funny enough I can see the site pottsmokers.nl in germany.
If it was legal I would be able to see the site pottsmokers.de
in the Netherlands.

If censoring does block the site pottsmokers.nl then they
can no longer buy cars at mercedes.de because the email
would be blocked in germany. That is so good about censoring.
It bites them first who do the censoring.

Now we could order the technicans to solve this :)

There is no solution. Censoring is a bug in the first place.

Of course I could allow email but not http. Now the vendor
at mercedes.de would look who is pottsmokers.nl? They are
blocked. They must be criminal so he may not sell them a
car.

But imagine a real criminal: His site is hosted at niceguy.ru and
he speaks german only. He will not be blocked though he is crimal.
You can see him in germany and you can sell him cars. :)

Censoring did introduce a problem. I solved it. There is a new
problem. I will always be like that. You will never solve them all.

The only real solution is: Keep politicians out of this. If they
really need to they may worry about their own servers in their
own countries.

Curiously enough there are things banned in the german internet
but you can buy them legally in every german bookstore. :)

> Actually you are mixing some items.
> The censorship, ID-thefts, computer crimes combat, etc. has nothing to do
> with what ICANN does, manages or coordinates.
> Those issues are dealt with different laws in different countries, exactly
> the same way different legislations deal with usual crimes. The Internet
> does not make the crimes unusual. They are just being performed in a
> different space.

ICANN does not do censoring. At least one german polititian does.

>>For his "ethical" feeling the polititian will never allow
>>this site to be visible in germany.
>>
>>Solve it!  :)
>

> So, what's the problem, and why do you think that IANA's work in the ccTLD
> field has anything to do with politics? I still have difficulties to
> understand it.

There were incidents. I guess that is the reason why ORSN exists in the
first place. Update policy in the root zone file was misused to force
politics. IQ, DE, AT and GR domains were not updated and servers, even
domains could not be reached.

Today DE, AT and GR domain entries are managed independantly from ICANN
by their respective NICs directly. Many costumers in europe dont even
know wether they are ICANNed or ORSNed :)

ICANN and ORSN are compatible. They have the same zones but ORSN data
is more accurate and more up to date.

Mostly the same goes for china. But there censoring is introduced too.
That is why american shoe manufacturers cannot by their soles in china:

Using ICANNed nameservers you cannot see

http://xn--8pru44h.xn--55qx5d/

you have to use Public-Root, Inclusive-Root or chinese root-servers
to see them or to send them emails.

But even when you do your email might be blocked when you send it
out of the USA. That is lost business :)

--
Peter and Karin Dambier
Public-Root
mail: peter at echnaton.serveftp.com