[governance] oversight

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Thu Oct 13 00:21:14 EDT 2005

Hi Laina

With "GAC power" I was making reference to the proposals for
strengthening GAC oversight or making a GAC-like oversight body,
which has been floated a few times by different government entities,
and these quickly produce the side-effect squabbles on this list
about whether/how much government input is appropriate, with the
"Let's be realistic, governments will be involved" on the one side
and "Let's be realistic, the Internet works because governments
aren't involved (except one)" on the other side and some points in
between. I think this is the disagreement Jeanette mentioned that we
are not likely to resolve, I think it gets more airtime than is
useful for us, and I don't think it builds strength in our positions.

My interpretation of Jeanette's suggestion is that for now we could
park the issue of GAC/governments in our statements, with "we
understand that there are a number of views within CS and the
internet community generally on the role of governments in the
internet governance process - we reiterate that these must be
assessed according to WSIS principles of [multistakeholder/access/
people-centred/ whatever agreed language]."

Meanwhile, we get on with the other work, especially Jeanette's
suggestions of

> *ICANN reform with the goal of multi-stakeholder composition
> *host country agreement
> *independent appeals body
>
> What we havn't discussed yet is an auditing function that could
> cover in
> addition to finances also other parts of ICANN's tasks and work.

Then according to the processes discussed previously about enabling
quicker responses, statements can be made by reps when Governments
put forward suggestions (as they are doing), with CS reps pointing
out the parts which don't work or are contrary to those principles.
Looking at the proposals so far the flaws are usually reasonably
obvious and I think it would be a lot easier for us to agree on those
than to try and concoct an agreed model, which in my view not that
many people are going to take much notice of anyway. This is because,
as the technical community always say, the people doing the work
should define the structure.  Put it this way, if WGIG's proposals
were basically ignored by some governments, I don't know if ours will
fare any better. So in the interests of clarifying the scope of the
CS docs, and diplomacy, I prefer a constructive/propositional
approach to non-gov reform, and a critical/responsive approach to
proposals involving governments.

Regards,

Danny

--